Wellness SA understand and value privacy and confidentiality particularly in a small community. All information that is gathered by your GP or Accredited Mental Health Social Worker during sessions will remain confidential and will be stored securely. Wellness SA is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 and the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000.
Exceptions to confidentiality:
- If the client shared information that would place them or someone else at serious or imminent risk to health, life and or safety.
- Information that has been obtained by the GP or Accredited Mental Health Social Worker is required by law or subpoenaed by a court.
Client’s consent is always gained before the following would take place:
- Provide a written letter, assessment and or report to your GP, another agency including a school or workplace.
- Discuss information that has been shared in session with another person (employer, school, family, support worker, another health professional).
It is required by law that disclosure of the following will take place for clients under the age of 18:
- If a client under the age of 18 discloses they have been engaging in deliberate self-harm or having suicidal thoughts or plans. This will be discussed with their parents and or guardian.
- If a client discloses any form of child abuse. Your GP and Accredited Mental Health Social Worker are mandated notifiers and are required by law to notify the Child Abuse Report Line.
Please note that if you have been referred to Wellness SA by your GP and using a Mental Health Care Plan, it is a requirement of Medicare to provide a written report to the referrer after the 6th and 10th sessions.